Saturday 29 August 2020

Easy Orange Butter Cake 简单香橙奶油蛋糕


I have a church friend who has been asking me to bake Orange Butter Cake for the longest time. Sadly, I have yet to send her one. This is because I usually make butter cakes and not orange butter cake for my family. My family adores butter cake (recipe here). Why want to add to the work by adding orange? You will add on extra work of zesting and juicing an orange. However, there is definitely a difference. An Orange Butter Cake exudes a citrussy smell that lures you from afar. If you are an orange lover, you will definitely like this Orange Butter Cake. Paired with good butter, this cake smells and tastes heavenly. Perfect for those who like a touch of citrus and a subtle hint of tang to cut off the richness in a butter cake.




The method I used for this Orange Butter Cake is simple. None of those complicated egg separation method used. Hence, the title Easy Orange Butter Cake. I do not know when people started using egg separation. There was no such thing years earlier. Yet, cakes turned out heavenly. Frankly saying, I am just too lazy to do egg separation. Throughout my years blogging, I have come to realize that a lot of readers wanted non-complicated, easy-to-follow recipes. I am slowly fulfilling this request. 

I have replaced normal orange juice with orange concentrate for a fuller flavour. You can use either. A tablespoon of orange liquer would also be ideal. I do not like orange essence however, as I find it metallic, not like the original orange taste.

Easy Orange Butter Cake 简单香橙奶油蛋糕

Makes a 7"x 7" cake 

Ingredients


4 eggs (A), room temperature

225g salted butter, softened

225g superfine flour/cake flour

90 castor sugar

2 tbsp orange concentrate (I used Sunquick) (or 4 tbsp/60 ml orange juice without milk)

2 tbsp milk

1 1/2 tbsp orange zest or zest of 1 large orange

2 1/2 tsp baking powder


Cooking Instruction

1. Line/grease a 7"x 7" tin. Preheat oven to 180C. Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Add orange zest to the dry mixture. Combine milk to orange concentrate.

2. Cream butter and sugar together using high speed until pale and fluffy (about 8 to 10 mins if using stand mixer). This step is essential to achieve a fluffy well-leavened cake. 

3. Whisk in eggs one at a time in medium speed until well combined.   Fold in flour in 2 instalments, alternating each instalment with orange mixture.

4. Pour batter into baking tin. Tap the baking tin a couple of times to remove trapped bubbles. Bake in 180C for 40 to 45 mins or until the skewer comes out clean when tested.  



 Can't get enough of butter cakes? Click here

theinformalchef.blogspot.com › 2017 › 10Butter Cake II 奶油蛋糕 II



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am using self raising flour is there any need to use baking powder or should I lessen the amount stated in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reduce baking powder by 1/2.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!