I love blueberries but it is not an ingredient that I would use often. This is because blueberries are rather pricey here. It just doesn't make sense to spend so much and get so little out of it. I normally use other fruits that are easily available here and equally tasty like bananas and apples as my raw ingredient to make muffins. But I was in luck today, blueberries was sold at a discount. I just have to buy, I couldn't help myself.
Moist and Soft Blueberry Muffins 蓝莓松饼
Makes 7 large muffins
1 1/2 cup plain flour (200g)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh blueberries (170g)
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar (95g)
1/3 cup butter (65g), at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk/yogurt (120ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Sieve dry ingredients (dry mix) together into a bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract gradually into the mixture and whisk until well combined.
4. Pour wet mixture into flour combination. Using a spatula, gently fold in flour and blueberries. It is essential not to over-mix (about 10 times in circular motion from down to up is about enough). It is fine if it is still a little lumpy.
5. Line muffin tins and fill the cups to the brim. Bake muffins in oven for 8 minutes at 200C before lowering the heat to 170C. Bake for another 10-13 mins. Test with a toothpick. If there is still residue sticking, bake for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove and cool on cooling rack.