Sunday 29 March 2015

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins 双巧克力松饼


Just came back from my cell group outing. Was about to call it a day when I remembered that I have some very expensive near-expire chocolate that I have taken out from the fridge this morning to make cookies and is begging for attention. I have every intention to finish off the chocolate and waste not. So off I go on a baking spree at 1 am in the morning. Please don't call me weird.





A quick search in google on this chocolate chocolate chips muffin shows that it is pretty popular. I guess anything that have to do with chocolate sells. Agree? If you are a chocolate lover, you would be spoiled silly with the rich chocolate inside the muffin. If you are not, you would still love it as it is soft and moist despite the lesser oil used compared to those found commercially.

This recipe that I used came from my very own adaptation of my go-to muffins recipes, with a few additions and alterations to the quantity. I have also taken the liberty to replace the buttermilk in the original recipe with a homemade replacement. It is quite simple actually. Just add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to one cup of milk and put it aside for 10 to 15 minutes for it to curdle. I wouldn't say it is the same to buttermilk but this is definitely a cheaper alternative. Sometimes I just don't understand why dairy products are selling so expensive here. A carton of Paul's 500 ml buttermilk costs easily RM7 (equivalent to USD 2 as of this date).I have used it several times and the results are the quite similar. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins 双巧克力松饼


Makes 9 medium muffins

Ingredients

Dry mix

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (195g)
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
100 g semisweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's)

Wet Mix

1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (180 ml) (or 3/4 tablespoon vinegar add to 3/4 cup milk and let it curdle)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar (95g)
1 tsp vanilla extract (65g)
1 tsp brandy (optional)


Cooking Method

1. Prepare buttermilk.





2. Put all dry ingredients into a strainer and sieve. You will find all the chocolate chips to be coated with flour at the end. This kills two birds with one stone. You got your flour sifted faster and you got your chocolate chips coated in flour. Put chocolate chips aside.





3. Beat egg with sugar. Add butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and brandy gradually.







4. Pour wet mixture into the flour mixture. Mix with spatula or wooden spoon for not more than ten times/turns. Batter is supposed to look lumpy. Add in 3/4 of the chocolate chips and mix briefly.

5. Preheat oven to 200C. Scoop batter into muffin tins lined with paper. Fill batter to the brim. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of batter.

6. Bake muffins for 8 mins at 200C and subsequently 15 mins at 170C.

7. Remove and let cool in rack.


Note
If you are a nut person, try adding 1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans or almonds. Definitely adds to the texture and flavour of this muffin.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!