Saturday 5 May 2018

Pakatan Snowskin Mooncake


I am always reluctant to mix politics with food. However, this is an exception. Just yesterday, one of my friends told me that I am not doing enough for the country (I interpreted it as selfishness). I therefore, made this Pakatan snowskin mooncake as my whimsy reply to her. To me, supporting a party does not mean you have to be physically present hailing your loyalty. This is my way of contribution.




For the benefit of those not familiar with Malaysian politics, this colourful mooncake that I made represents the logo of the opposition party, PAKATAN HARAPAN. Our election day is four days away and this time it is a very crucial, a moment whereby a change is possible after 60 years under the present government's rule. It will be a historical (and hysterical) moment if change happens.

The mooncake that I made comes in pairs, one representing the logo and the other representing the "X" marking when you are voting.

Making this mooncake is relatively easy as all the ingredients are store bought. The recipe that I am using is the same Yam Mooncake recipe that I posted years ago. I did reduce the sugar a little. The only tedious work is to cut out the little pieces for the logo. I am thus putting the steps into record in case any of my comrades would like to make one for her herds.

Pakatan Snowskin Mooncake

Makes 8 large pieces

Ingredients

140 g fried glutinous rice flour (gao fen)
100 g icing sugar
50 g shortening
180 g ice water

420 g red beans paste, divided into 4 parts
420 g lotus paste, divided into 4 parts

Cooking Instructions


1.  Prepare template for the Pakatan Logo. First trace a round that is the same size of the mooncake mould hole. Then draw the parts and cut out to make a template (as shown above). I did it free hand. You can always trace from somewhere. Trace another round that fits the mooncake mould so that it could cover the patterns from the mould (as I want a smooth top).

2. Divide red bean paste and lotus paste into 4 equal parts each and roll into a ball. Repeat until finish, cover and keep refrigerated until needed.





3. Sift glutinous rice flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add ice water and shortening. Mix thoroughly until a dough is formed. Knead dough until smooth. Then divide dough into 180g (for blue), 40g (for red) and 40g(for black). Save the rest for white.





4. Add colouring to the dough until you get your desired tone. Knead to mix colours.





5. Using the red, black and white dough, cut little parts out of the template for the top later.

6. Divide blue into four parts and weight four parts white dough of 45g each.  Roll each dough into a round, flatten and put the red beans/lotus paste in the middle of the dough. Wrap dough around the filling until all the filling are covered. Dust the mooncake mould with a little gao fen, put the ball in the middle and press to make the mooncake shape. Repeat until all are finish (8 mooncakes).

8. Arrange cut piece on top of mooncake until the logo is formed. Apply a little pressure so that the pieces sticks to the top.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!