Saturday 6 May 2017

Simple Apple Salad with Crunchy Calamari Rings


This whole week has been really hectic for me with the preparation of an upcoming bazaar participation besides my usual work rush. I have been taking economy rice as lunch for most of this week. I have been wanting to eat something different, something healthy but I hardly have the time to cook. Then suddenly, I remembered I received a packet of Calamari Rings and some fish fillets (they have quite a few types) from PACIFIC WEST recently. Perfect! I then quickly chucked the calamari rings into my preheated oven. You can also have the option to deep-fry or air fry the Calamari Rings.
Clear instructions are provided behind the package. It will only take 14 to 16 minutes to cook the Calamari Rings. I have to admit I have my doubts whether the Calamari Rings will turn out crispy as I did not apply any oil (yes, trying to keep it healthy). But it turned out perfectly crunchy and also with an appetizing hue of golden brown.



While the Calamari Ring were cooking in the oven, I quickly shredded up some green apples, tomatoes and a little onion. The salad itself was easy to prepare, needing only a couple of ingredients. There was no need for the stove to make this dish. By the time I am done mixing the salad, the oven beeped me, indicating that the Calamari Rings were cooked. What a perfect timing! I just topped the salad with the rings, at the same time stuffed a couple into my salivating mouth. I just couldn't wait. The Calamari Rings were nicely flavoured with tinge of spice towards the end, a perfect match for my tangy salad.  The calamari inside was not chewy and it was perfectly coated with the crunchy crumbs, adding texture to the rings. My only regret is not baking more of the ring as I finished most of it all by myself leaving only the salad for others.

We all love Pacific West product, don't we? They are having the "Best Cook at Home" contest whereby you may win up to RM40,000 worth of Tefal products with every purchase. Check it out now! Here's the link (click on picture):

http://www.pacificwestfoods.com.my/promotions.html?tab=cook-at-home


Apple Salad with Crunchy Calamari Rings

Ingredients

15-20 Pacific West Calamari Rings
4 green apples, peeled and shredded
2 tomatoes, seeds removed and shredded
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup toasted peanuts, crushed
1 stalk coriander, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup Thai Chilli sauce
1 tsp salt or to taste


Cooking Instruction

1. Put about 12 pieces of Calamari Rings into a preheated oven at 220C and bake for 14 to 16 mins.

2. Meanwhile, shred apples and then sprinkle some salt over. Set aside. This will draw water out preventing the salad from becoming too watery later.

3. Shred tomatoes and slice the onion. Put strained apples, tomatoes and onion in a large bowl and add Thai Chilli Sauce. Give it a good toss. 

4. Serve with a sprinkle of crushed peanuts and baked Calamari Rings on top. Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dropping by to The Informal Chef. If you like what you have read and would like to SHARE this with your friends, kindly click on those little buttons available on top. I am also available in the following social medias:

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/theinformalchef
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/christineyong74/
BLOGGER: theinformalchef.blogspot.com

Add "like" in FACEBOOK, "follow" in PINTEREST, or add your email to my BLOGGER's e-mail or RSS feed to keep abreast with my latest postings.

Look forward to your comments. Cheers!